Michael H. Goldstein
Michael H. Goldstein has more than thirty years of experience in reinsurance and insurance coverage disputes, including more than fifty arbitration hearings to award, trials, and appeals throughout the United States representing insurers, cedants, and reinsurers. These disputes have included asbestos, bodily injury and property damage claims, construction defect claims, environmental claims, bail bond claims, accident, life, health, and workers compensation claims, accountants’ and broker’s malpractice claims, directors and officers claims, Personal Accident London Market (PA LMX) claims, U.S. and London ocean marine and London Market composite risks, finite risk reinsurance, bankruptcy and insolvency issues, film financing, and entertainment risks. Many of these disputes and counseling assignments have involved the London Market. In litigating in state and federal trial and appellate courts, Mr. Goldstein has represented parties in a number of matters where the courts issued landmark decisions on various reinsurance issues.
Mr. Goldstein is admitted to practice in New York, several federal district courts, and United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits. He also has lectured and served as chairperson at Mealey’s conferences, at RAA conferences and seminars, at the College of Insurance, at the Defense Research Institute, and the American Conference Institute on insurance and reinsurance law topics. He has collaborated with Guy Carpenter in authoring a Guy Carpenter Claims Consulting White Paper regarding Reinsurance Coverage of Declaratory Judgment Expenses and authored and co-authored many articles on insurance and reinsurance. Mr. Goldstein is ARIAS-US trained and a certified arbitrator.
Mr. Goldstein is a graduate of Columbia College and Fordham University Law School.
- Selected into FICM-MCN Arbitration Tribunals (2018-2019) - Michael's FICM profile.
- New York County Lawyers' Association
- Recognized in Benchmark Litigation as a National Insurance Litigation Star
- Recognized in Super Lawyers
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. Learn more about the selection methodology. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
The Martindale-Hubbell list is issued by Peer Review Ratings. Learn more about the selection methodology. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers
- Approved as an ARIAS U.S. Arbitrator
- Co-Author, “The Role of the Courts in Managing Your Reinsurance Arbitration – Who’s Your Arbitrator? Who’s Your Counsel?” MCWG 2015/2016 Winter Newsletter, Issue 04, Volume 23.
- Co-Author, “When Follow the Settlements Collides with a Reinsurer’s Right of Access to Records and Discovery,” Harris Martin, May 7, 2013.
- Co-Author, “Trust.But Verify: Do Access to Records and Follow the Settlements Conflict?” AIRROC Matters, Dispute Resolution Special Edition, Vol. No. 1, Spring 2013.
- Co-Author, 2008 Guy Carpenter Global Claims Consulting White Paper: Reinsurance Coverage of Declaratory Judgment Expenses.
- Co-Author, “Rescission of a Reinsurance Contract: Is Scienter Required?” Journal of Insurance Coverage, Summer, 2002.
- Co-Author, “Service of Suit Clauses Should Not Defeat the Arbitrability of Reinsurance Disputes,” Journal of Insurance Coverage, Spring, 2002.
- Co-Author, “To Arbitrate or Not to Arbitrate,” Global Reinsurance, Fall, 2000.
- Author, “For Whom Does Bellefonte Toll? It Tolls For Thee,” Mealey’s Litigation Report: Reinsurance, August 13, 1998.
- Author, “Kissing Cousins Or Distant Relations? When Late Notices is Prejudicial To Excess Insurance But Not to Reinsurance,” Mealey’s Litigation Report: Reinsurance, November 12, 1997.
- Author, “Bellefonte Lives,” Mealey’s Litigation Report: Reinsurance, September 24, 1997
- Co-Author, “‘Till Death Do Us Part?: Follow the Fortunes and Utmost Good Faith At The End Of The Century,” DRI-Excess and Reinsurance Conference, November 1996.
- Author, “Choking on Asbestos Claims” Best’s Review, March 1992.
- Co-Author, “Corrupting The System,” ReActions, November 1990.
- Panel Chair and Presenter, “Ethics in Arbitration: Is It an Oxymoron? Arbitrator ‘Disclosures’ and Other Bad Behavior in the 21st Century,” IRUA/Reinsurance Networking Group Lunch & Learn: Ethics in Arbitration, January 23, 2019.
- Presenter, “The Environmental Impact of Waste Water Disposal & Mining,” Reinsurance Association of America Discussion Series, April 24, 2018.
- Presenter, “Insurtech: Smart Contracts & Peer to Peer Insurance,” Brokers & Reinsurance Markets Association, April 2017.
- Presenter, “New Developments in Reinsurance Disputes,” DRI’s Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium, December 3, 2015.
- Facilitator, “The Art of Designing Reinsurance Contracts and Programs” Reinsurance Association of America, July 21, 2015.
- Presenter, “Contract Clauses Required for Reinsurance Credit.” Reinsurance Association of America, May 14, 2015.
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs): What are They and What is Their Place in the World?”, Reinsurance Association of America, New York, NY, October 15, 2014.
- Presenter, “Contract Clauses Required for Reinsurance Credit,” Re Basics, Reinsurance Association of America, Chicago, IL, May 14, 2013.
- Presenter, Re Basics, “Issues Surrounding International Flood Claims” Re Claims, Reinsurance Association of America, New York, NY, September 13, 2012.
- Presenter, “Follow the Settlements v. Access to Records,” AIRROC/R&Q Rendez-Vous Education Session, October 2012.
- Presenter, “Climate Change/Natural Disasters, “Re Claims, Reinsurance Association of America, September 14-15, 2011.
- Co Leader, “Contract Mania,” Re Basics, Reinsurance Associaton of America, May 10, 2012.
- Presenter, “Reinsurance Seminar: London v. New York,” MCWG/Reynolds Porter Chamberlain Joint Seminar, London, England, September 23, 2009.
- Panelist, “Creating the Arbitration Framework,” Reinsurance Claims & Arbitration, American Conference Institute Forum, September 2008.
- Leader, “The Role of Courts in Arbitration,” Reinsurance Claims Management, Reinsurance Association of America, Re Claims, September 2008.
New York, 1980
Multiple United States District Courts and Circuit Courts of Appeal
B.A., Columbia University, 1976
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1979