Matthew J. Lasky
Matthew J. Lasky is a partner with Mound Cotton Wollan and Greengrass LLP and has more than twenty years of experience in reinsurance, insurance, product liability, and commercial litigation and arbitration. He has participated in dozens of reinsurance litigations and arbitrations, pending in various jurisdictions throughout the United States, wherein he has counseled clients on a wide variety of issues, including follow-the-fortunes and follow-the-settlements, exhaustion, allocation, aggregation, notice, and premium disputes. Prior to joining the firm in 2005, Mr. Lasky was associated with the law firm of Chadbourne & Parke LLP at which he represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in hundreds of high profile product liability litigations filed in state and federal courts throughout the United States. Mr. Lasky also has extensive experience in insurance coverage, commercial and bankruptcy disputes.
Mr. Lasky has articles published in the New York Law Journal, and collaborated with Guy Carpenter in authoring a Guy Carpenter Claims Consulting White Paper regarding Reinsurance Coverage of Declaratory Judgment Expenses. Mr. Lasky is a graduate of The Catholic University of America, where he received his B.A. in English and Political Science. During his undergraduate studies, he played on the varsity football and rugby teams. Mr. Lasky also received his J.D. (magna cum laude) from The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, where he served as an Editorial Assistant for The Catholic University Law Review. He is admitted to practice in New York, New Jersey, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, and the United States District Courts for the Southern District of New York, New Jersey and Colorado.
- Author, “Data Protection: Harmonizing Tensions Between the NAIC’s ‘Insurance Data Security Law’ & Traditional Access-To-Records Provisions,” Journal Of Reinsurance 2020, Volume 27, Number 1.
- Co-Author, “Arbitration And Federal Post-Judgment Interest: May Arbitrators Supersede The Statutory Rate In Their Award?,” New York Law Journal, February 21, 2012.
- Co-Author, “Manifest Disregard of the Law After Hall Street,” MCWG Newsletter, Reinsurance Law Update, Issue 3, 2010.
- Co-Author, 2008 Guy Carpenter Global Claims Consulting White Paper: Reinsurance Coverage of Declaratory Judgment Expenses.
- Co-Author, “Should Lenders Share Fault for Damages?,” New York Law Journal, December 2, 2002.
- Panelist, ‘Hot Topic Panel – Underwriting in the Time of Covid 19,’ Re Underwriting 2020 — Underwriting Fundamentals and Current Issues, Reinsurance Education Institute of the Reinsurance Association of America, November 5, 2020.
- Presenter, AAIRROC Working From Home Webinars: A Duo of Topics: Vaping & Data Protection, “Data Protection: What Run-off Insurers Need to Know About the NAIC’s ‘Insurance Data Security Law,’” September 29, 2020.
- Moderator, Mound Cotton Wollan & Greengrass LLP 6th Annual Reinsurance Conference, “Reinsurance In The Digital Age,” September 19, 2019, NYC.
- Speaker, Reinsurance Association of America, Reinsurance Contracts 2019: The Art of Designing Reinsurance Contracts and Programs, “Privacy, Confidentiality, Data Protection and Sanctions Clauses,” July 23 – 25 2019, NYC.
- Speaker, Reinsurance Association of America, Demystifying Reinsurance 2018: A Basics of Property/Casualty Reinsurance, “Contract Clauses Required For Reinsurance Credit,” May 10-11, 2018, NYC.
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
United States District Court for the District of Colorado
B.A., The Catholic University of America, 1994
J.D., The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law (magna cum laude), 1998