Emilie Bakal-Caplan has over twenty-five years of experience litigating insurance, reinsurance, commercial, tort, and contract matters. Her practice covers all aspects of domestic and international insurance-related disputes, including those involving retrospective premium issues, improper claims handling, declaratory judgment expenses, allocation issues, pollution liability, infidelity, lead poisoning, and sexual molestation. Over the years she has handled a diverse range of coverage issues relating to losses arising from hurricanes, floods, blizzards, collapse, mechanical failure, avian flu, defective heart valves, and insurance-backed film finance. She also has represented a variety of non-insurance company clients (including diamond and clothing manufacturers, an industrial fan manufacturer, law firms, and authors) in lawsuits involving claims of professional malpractice, fraud, hearing loss, and breach of contract.
Emilie has litigated and handled appeals in state and federal courts throughout the United States. She is admitted to the New York and federal bars, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third and Seventh Circuits. She has spoken on reinsurance issues at BVR/Mealey’s and the Reinsurance Association of America and is a member of the Association of Professional Insurance Women.
Emilie is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania (cum laude) and Boston University School of Law.
- Recognized in Super Lawyers, 2010-2020
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. Learn more about the selection methodology. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Association of Professional Insurance Women
- Streamlining the Resolution of First Party Insurance Property Damage Claims, Perrin Natural Disaster Conference, April 2019
- At the Forefront of Diversity – Women Legal, Ark Group, June 2011
- Emerging Insurance Coverage & Allocation Issues, Perrin Conferences, January 2011
- ARIAS Intensive Arbitrator Training Workshop, March 2007 and September 2010
- Eastern Claims Conference, March 2009
- Legal and Strategic Forum on Life Reinsurance, January 2009
- RAA, Reinsurance Claims Management for Claims Professionals, September 2006 and September 2008
- Mealey’s Reinsurance 101, February 2004
- Insurance Accounting and Systems Association, Arbitration, November 2002
New York, 1987
United States District Court, Southern District of New York, 1989
United States District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1989
United States Eastern District Court of Wisconsin, 2008
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2001
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2012
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2016
J.D., Boston University School of Law, 1986
B.A., cum laude, University of Pennsylvania, 1982