Lloyd A. Gura
Lloyd A. Gura is a partner and member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He has more than thirty years of experience in reinsurance, insurance, ERISA, environmental, tort, and healthcare litigation and arbitration. His practice includes complex insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes, fronting, captive and program business, subrogation, fraud, life and health claims, bad faith, property and casualty losses, directors and officers, errors and omissions, and all facets of professional liability claims, personal injury claims, premises liability, allocation disputes, insolvency issues, molestation, talc, concussion, human trafficking, advertising injury, copyright infringement, cyber claims, Bermuda Form arbitrations, construction defect coverage, and claims involving asbestos products and non-products.
Mr. Gura has published articles in Best’s Review, Business Insurance, New York Law Journal, CPCU Claims Quarterly, Journal of Reinsurance, and the Risk Management Newsletter regarding insurance and reinsurance issues. Mr. Gura created and chairs the annual NYC Reinsurance Conference and lectures at seminars sponsored by AIRROC, ARIAS-US, IRUA, Mealey’s, American Conference Institute, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Reinsurance Association of America, HB Litigation Conferences, Perrin Conferences, AIG, AXA XL, Zurich, Chubb, The Hartford, R&Q, ACE, Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, Riverstone, Swiss Re, and Gen Re, among others, on insurance and reinsurance law and practice. He has tried numerous cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States and participated in more than two hundred reinsurance/insurance arbitrations in the United States and London, UK.
He is admitted to the New York and Connecticut bars and is a member of the New York County Lawyers’ Association, where he is on the Committee on Insurance, and the New York State Bar Association.
- Member of the Firm's Executive Committee
- Chambers USA, 2018-2021: "Very well respected." "Very detail-oriented." "Has expertise representing insurers in a range of coverage litigation, including environmental, mass tort and healthcare-related disputes. He also has experience handling reinsurance arbitration matters." "He is extremely responsive and very practical," "He goes to great lengths to understand our business and the types of issues that we face, and to weigh up the business risks." "Maintains a respected carrier-side disputes practice and counts premier insurance companies among his clients.” "He is exemplary in the way he works and is highly practical and creative in finding resolutions." “One of the reasons I’ve worked with Lloyd for so long is that he’s able to understand what my business objectives are.”
The Chambers list is issued by Chambers and Partners researchers. Learn more about the selection methodology. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Super Lawyers, New York Metro, Insurance Coverage, 2010-2021
- Euromoney's Expert Guide as a top Insurance & Reinsurance Practitioner, 2015-2021
- Lawyers of Distinction, 2020-2021
- America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2020
- Who’s Who Legal: Global Guide: Thought Leaders - Insurance & Reinsurance 2015-2021: "Mr. Gura is an excellent insurance and reinsurance lawyer." "Mr. Gura is a great representative and a formidable name in the insurance and reinsurance market. His enviable practice sees him assist clients with a broad range of complex matters."
The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers:
The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers list is issued by Law Business Research Ltd. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- America's Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators® for New York City, 2019
- New York Magazine, Leaders in the Law, New York's Leading Lawyers Guide, 2018-2020
- LexisNexis Insurer Attorney of the Year, 2008
- Journal Of Reinsurance, Advisory Panel member
- Insurance and Reinsurance Underwriters Association Board Member
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers’ Association, Committee on Insurance
- Nassau County Bar Association
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Society (ARIAS-US)
- Co-author, “Automatization of Underwriting and the Future of the Reinsurance Relationship,” Journal of Reinsurance 2019, Volume 26, Number 1.
- Co-author, “Two Decisions Under New York Law on “Pro Rata” vs. “Joint and Several” Allocation, MCWG Newsletter, issue 4, Volume 23 – Winter, 2015/16.
- Author, “Pros and Cons of a Flexible Process” a chapter in “Straight From the Top: Leading ADR Lawyers Discuss Best Practices for Alternative Dispute Resolution” published by ExecSense and available on line at Apple, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble book stores, September 14, 2012.
- Co-Author, “Arbitration and Federal Post-Judgment Interest: Superseding Statutory Rate?,” New York Law Journal, February 21, 2012.
- Co-Author, “Japan Earthquake and Tsunami: Reinsurance Issues,” The Journal of Reinsurance, Fall 2011 Issue Vol. 18 No. 4.
- Author, “Declaratory Judgment Expenses,” Global Claims Consulting – Guy Carpenter 2008.
- Author, “Midland Insurance Company, in Liquidation: Twenty Years Later, Focus Turns to Reinsurers,” MCWG Newsletter, Winter 2006.
- Author, “Molestation Claims- Legislative and Judicial Developments Regarding the Statute of Limitations,” Claims Quarterly, December 2005.
- Author, “Non-Product Asbestos Liability Claims: The New Phenomenon” The Risk Management Newsletter Vol. 25, Issue 2 (2004).
- Author, “Looming Asbestos Liabilities Raise Coverage Questions,” Business Insurance, September 15, 2003.
- Author, “Compelling Resolution,” Best’s Review, July, 2002.
- Author, “When is an Occurrence not an Occurrence – When it is a Breach of Contract,” MCWG Newsletter, 1999.
- With Steve Torrini, Mr. Gura gave a virtual client presentation to a major reinsurer on New York Labor Law sections 200, 240(1) and 241(6). Approximately 200 claims, underwriting, and senior management personnel attended.The presentation focused on the application of the statutes to personal injury claims throughout New York City and other parts of New York State. In addition, they covered the nuances of handling such claims, both from a claims and a litigation standpoint, including an analysis of factors upon which to focus in order to set a reserve, the economic and non-economic exposure presented by these claims, recent jury verdicts and settlements, and a discussion of the contractual indemnification and insurance coverage issues which arise between owners, general contractors, and subcontractors. March 26, 2021
- Chair, New York City Reinsurance Conference, September, 2014-2019.
- Presenter, Reinsurance Association of America, Re Claims Bermuda, “Unique Issues Affecting the Reinsurance Industry Arising Out of 2015 Winter Storms,” March 16, 2016.
- Presenter, IRUA’s Claims and Underwriting Aspects of Emerging Risks, “Medical/Legalized Marijuana,” March 9, 2016.
- Presenter, IRU’s Reinsurance Contracts Seminar, “Dispute Resolution and Service of Suit.” May 13, 2015.
- Presenter, AIRROC’s Annual Commutations and Networking Conference, “Supply Chain Disruptions/Contingent Time Element Coverage,” October 15, 2014.
- Chair, HB Litigation Reinsurance Roundtable, September 15, 2014.
- Presenter, Zurich North America Actuarial Networking Conference, “Autonomous Vehicles: Emerging Legal Issues,” August, 2014.
- Presenter, Zurich North America Actuarial Networking Meeting, August 2013.
- Presenter, “Exploring the Interruption of Supply Chains after an ARkStorm,” ARIAS Spring Conference, May 8-10, 2013.
- Co-chair, AIRROC’s Annual Commutations and Networking Conference October 16th – 19th 2011.
- Presenter, “Climate Change/Natural Disasters,” Reinsurance Association of America, September 14-15, 2011.
- Lecturer, “The Insurance and Reinsurance Impacts of the Japan Earthquake Webinar,” Perrin Conferences, May 2011.
- Lecturer, “Survivor,” AIRROC/R&Q Commutations & Networking Event, October 2010.
- Lecturer, “Exposure to Insurers/Reinsurers From the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill,” Re Claims 2010, Reinsurance Association of America, September 2010.
- Case Study Presenter, Re Claims 2010, Reinsurance Association of America, September 2010.
- Lecturer, Reinsurance Magazine – Claims & Run-Off Seminar, London, England, December 9, 2009.
- Presenter, “Reinsurance Seminar: London v. New York,” MCWG/Reynolds Porter Chamberlain Joint Seminar, London, England, September 23, 2009.
- Co-Chair, BVR Legal/Mealey’s Conference 2009 – The Insurance Industry’s Top 10 Risks and Opportunities.
- Lecturer, ARIAS-US – Panel Discussion Concerning Ethical Problems in Reinsurance.
- Lecturer, American Conference Institute – Reinsurance and Non Product Asbestos Coverage Issues.
- Lecturer, American Conference Institute – Access to Records Clauses – Use and Abuse.
- Lecturer, American Conference Institute – Organizational Meetings.
- Lecturer, Association of the Bar of the City of New York – Recent Developments in Reinsurance Law.
- Lecturer, Reinsurance Association of America – Recent Developments in Follow the Fortunes and Follow the Settlements and their Impact on Allocation.
- Lecturer, Reinsurance Association of America – Natural Catastrophes and Reinsurance.
- Lecturer, American Conference Institute – Apportioning Losses – Allocating and Aggregating Complex Claims.
- Lecturer, Lehman Brothers Global Reinsurance Conference – Reinsurance Disputes in the Global Marketplace.
- Lecturer, Mealey’s – Reinsurance 101.
- Lecturer, Marcus Evans – Reinsurance Case Studies.
New York, 1991
Court of Appeals, First, Second, Third, Tenth Federal Circuits
J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 1990
B.A., State University of New York, Binghamton, 1987