Stuart Cotton has over thirty years of experience in general commercial, tort, and insurance coverage litigation and arbitration involving, among other areas, property damage (including environmental and contamination loss), business interruption, boiler and machinery, residual value and other financial guaranty, and reinsurance.
Mr. Cotton has litigated in state and federal courts in various jurisdictions throughout the United States on behalf of U.S. and overseas insurers, reinsurers, managing agents, and brokers and intermediaries, as well as Underwriters at Lloyd’s. He has lectured and written articles on business interruption coverage problems, punitive damages, the effect of non-disclosure and misrepresentation on the validity of reinsurance treaty coverages, cedant/reinsurer obligations under typical contract wordings, litigation problems involving letters of credit, residual value, coverage for environmental impairment and contamination clean-up costs, claims arising from insurance company inspection activities, and other topics.
Mr. Cotton is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and Georgetown University Law School.
- Member, Association of English and American Lawyers
- Who's Who Legal: Insurance and Reinsurance, 2013-2023
- Insurance Business America, 2021
- Best Lawyers
- Benchmark Litigation, National Insurance Litigation Star
- Super Lawyers, 2006, 2008-2020
- AV Preeminent Peer Reviewed Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- “‘Follow the Fortunes’ and Allocation,” New York Law Journal, October 8, 2008
- Author of numerous articles in Best’s Review, Business Insurance, The Review (London), The Journal of Insurance Coverage, and ReActions
- “Financial Guaranty Insurance,” co-authored with Andrew Maneval, Business Insurance Law and Practice Guide, Matthew Bender, 1989
- Lecturer, various insurance and reinsurance-related topics at BVR/Mealey’s Conferences, the Defense Research Institute, Practicing Law Institute, ARIAS and other organizations
New York, 1968
J.D., Georgetown University Law School, 1968
B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1965