Stuart Cotton has over thirty years of experience in general commercial, tort, and insurance coverage litigation and arbitration involving, among other areas, property damage (including environmental and contamination loss), business interruption, boiler and machinery, residual value and other financial guaranty, and reinsurance.
Mr. Cotton has litigated in state and federal courts in various jurisdictions throughout the United States on behalf of U.S. and overseas insurers, reinsurers, managing agents, and brokers and intermediaries, as well as Underwriters at Lloyd’s. He has lectured and written articles on business interruption coverage problems, punitive damages, the effect of non-disclosure and misrepresentation on the validity of reinsurance treaty coverages, cedant/reinsurer obligations under typical contract wordings, litigation problems involving letters of credit, residual value, coverage for environmental impairment and contamination clean-up costs, claims arising from insurance company inspection activities, and other topics.
Mr. Cotton is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and Georgetown University Law School.
- Member of the Association of English and American Lawyers
The Chambers list is issued by Chambers and Partners researchers. Learn more about the selection methodology. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Who's Who Legal: Insurance and Reinsurance, 2013-2022
The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers:
The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers list is issued by Law Business Research Ltd. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Insurance Business America, 2021
- Best Lawyers
- Benchmark Litigation as a National Insurance Litigation Star
- Super Lawyers - 2006, 2008-2021
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. Learn more about the selection methodology. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- AV Preeminent Peer Reviewed Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
The Martindale-Hubbell list is issued by Peer Review Ratings. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- “‘Follow the Fortunes’ and Allocation,” New York Law Journal, October 8, 2008
- Author of numerous articles in Best’s Review, Business Insurance, The Review (London), The Journal of Insurance Coverage, and ReActions
- “Financial Guaranty Insurance,” co-authored with Andrew Maneval, Business Insurance Law and Practice Guide, Matthew Bender, 1989
- Lecturer, various insurance and reinsurance-related topics at BVR/Mealey’s Conferences, the Defense Research Institute, Practicing Law Institute, ARIAS and other organizations
New York, 1969
J.D., Georgetown University Law School, 1968
B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1965