Bruce R. Kaliner
Mr. Kaliner has over twenty-six years of experience involving domestic and international first-party property insurance and reinsurance coverage issues with a focus on large loss manufacturing, chemical, and refinery claims, complex on- and off-shore energy losses, cyber and ransomware/malware claims, fire, mold, flood/ hurricane/earthquake catastrophe claims, application of deductibles, occurrence analysis, time element and business interruption loss, contingent business interruption, civil authority, service interruption, and ingress/egress loss, captive reinsurer disputes, commercial actions and direct mail marketing matters. His practice includes arbitrations, mediations, administrative hearings, trials, and appeals throughout the United States. Mr. Kaliner is in charge of the firm’s e-Discovery task force.
Mr. Kaliner is a member of the Insurance Law Committee of the New York City Bar Association (2002-2005 and 2018-2021). He is a founding member of the New York “Powercon” Energy Conference, a yearly seminar in the Property/Energy Insurance Sector.
Mr. Kaliner is a graduate of American University and Boston University School of Law.
- Recognized in New York Super Lawyers, New York Metro, Insurance Coverage, 2012-2016, 2019-2021
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. Learn more about the selection methodology. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- New York City Bar Association, Insurance Law Committee, 2002-2005, 2018-2021
- New York City Bar Association, Consumer Affairs Committee, 2002-2005
- “Property Insurance Considerations For Green Energy Storage,” co-authored with Jeffrey Weinstein, Law360, November 27, 2018
- “Will Crisis Management Insurance Cover Ransomware?” co-authored with Jeffrey Weinstein, Law360, January 17, 2018
- “Business Interruption Meets Cyber Risk Coverage,” co-authored with Costantino Suriano, Business Insurance, March 6, 2017
- “Let’s Talk: Cooperation With Opposing Counsel Can Contain Discovery Costs,” co-authored with Erica Dominitz, New York Law Journal, June, 2013
- “Managing Metadata,” Best’s Review, November 2005
- “The Expanding Role of Contingent Business Interruption Insurance,” Mealey’s, December 2003
- “Electronic Data Need Careful Handling,” Business Insurance, June 2003
- Co-Presenter with Deanna Manzo and Costantino Suriano, “‘Stacking’ Under Property Insurance,” April 5, 2022
- Faculty, Small Law Firm Series: “Cybersecurity: Ethical and Practical Risk Management Issues for Lawyers Dealing with Cybersecurity,” New York City Bar Association, October 17, 2019
- Moderator, PowerCon Conference (Energy & Power) – Energy Transformation, May 16, 2019
- Presenter, “Are First-Party Insurers at Risk From Cyber Attacks on Industrial Facilities and Infrastructure?,” Loss Executive Association Meeting, Buckhead, GA, June 15, 2016
- Speaker, “Business Interruption Insurance Coverage Under New York Law,” New York City Bar Association, February 27, 2014
- Presenter, PowerCon Conference (Energy & Power) – Emerging 1st Party Property Coverage Issues in Alternative/Renewable Energy, May 2011
- Conference co-chair, “Insurance 101,” Mealey’s, February 2005
- Lecturer, Institute for Continuing Education on the Subject of Advanced Litigation Techniques
New York, 1987
U.S. District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts, New York, 1989
J.D., Boston University School of Law, 1986
B.S., B.A., American University, 1983