Amy Justine Kallal
Amy J. Kallal has over twenty years of experience in all aspects of complex reinsurance litigation and arbitration as well as third-party direct insurance coverage disputes.
Her practice includes coverage and defense on behalf of ceding companies and assuming reinsurers with respect to legacy asbestos and environmental liabilities and other run-off business. She has extensive experience handling matters involving various underwriting issues, allocation and aggregation of losses, coverage under quota share, excess of loss, catastrophe, and facultative contracts, financial solvency, commutation, bad faith, fraud, and rescission claims, pre-answer security and letters of credit, audit rights, and notice issues. She has arbitrated dozens of cases to final award and has also litigated cases in numerous state and federal courts.
- American Bar Association
- Association of Professional Insurance Women
- Recognized in Super Lawyers (2013-2020)
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. Learn more about the selection methodology. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- ARIAS-US Education Committee
- Co-author, “The Next Insurance Frontier: Why Legacy Insurance Coverage May Not Protect Early Adopters Of Bitcoin,” Law360, June 9, 2021.
- Co-author, “America Has An Opioid Problem: Who’s Going To Pay To Fix It?”, AIRROC Matters and The Society of Actuaries, Spring Issue 2019
- Co-author, “Honorable Engagement Clauses and the Powers of Arbitrators: Has First State v. National Casualty Changed the Landscape?”, ARIAS-U.S. Quarterly, Third Quarter 2015.
- Presenter, AIRROC Working From Home Webinars: A Duo of Topics: Vaping & Data Protection, “Vaping: What’s Hiding Behind the Puff of Smoke?,” September 29, 2020.
- Moderator, New York City Reinsurance Conference, “Disputes Within the Dispute: What Insurers and Reinsurers are Fighting About and What Arbitrators are Doing About It,” September 19, 2019.
- Moderator, ARIAS U.S. Webinar, “Cutting Edge Issues In Insolvency & Run-Off,” March 13, 2019.
- Speaker, Brokers & Reinsurance Markets Association’s Stamford Lunch and Learn, “Opioids: Where Are We, How Did We Get Here, & What Are Some Insurance Implications?” January 2019.
- Moderator, 5th Annual New York City Reinsurance Conference, “The Opioid Epidemic: What the Industry is Seeing From the Recent Wave of Litigation & Legislation to Address the Nationwide Public Health Crisis,” September 13, 2018.
- Speaker, Reinsurance Association of America, Re Claims 2018: Navigating the World of Reinsurance Protection When Loss Strikes, “Insurance and Reinsurance Implications of the Opioid Crisis,” July 17-18, 2018.
- Speaker, AIRROC Chicago Regional Education Day, “The U.S. Opioid Epidemic: Background, Current Statistics, Litigation & Insurance Claims/Coverage Issues” June 12, 2018.
- Speaker, Brokers & Reinsurance Markets Association, BRMA’s Committee Rendezvous, “Driverless Cars,” April 9-10, 2018.
- Speaker, Reinsurance Association of America, The RAA’s Seminar: “Re Contracts: The Art of Designing Reinsurance Contracts and Programs,” March 14-15, 2018.
- Speaker, Reinsurance Association of America, The RAA’s Discussion Series: “Opioids,” February 6, 2018.
- Presenter, AIRROC’s Annual Commutations and Networking Conference, “A New Allocation Landscape Under In re Viking Pump, Inc.?” October 2017.
- Presenter, Reinsurance Association of America, Re Claims: “Opioid Epidemic,” October 2017.
- Moderator, Mound Cotton Wollan & Greengrass LLP 4th Annual Reinsurance Conference,”Political Risk Insurance 101,” September 2017.
- Presenter, AIRROC Chicago Networking and Regional Education Day, “In re Viking Pump, Inc.,” June 2017.
- Presenter, Brokers & Reinsurance Markets Association’s Committee Rendezvous, “Insurtech: Smart Contracts and Peer-2-Peer,” April 2017.
- Presenter, Brokers & Reinsurance Markets Association’s Connecticut Lunch and Learn, “The Sharing Economy & Impact On The Industry,” January 2017.
- Panelist, AIRROC’s Annual Commutations and Networking Conference, “The Sharing Economy,” October 2016.
Moderator, Mound Cotton Wollan & Greengrass LLP 3rd Annual Reinsurance Conference, “New Interpretations Of Old Contracts: Can A Party Change The Deal Decades Later?,” September 2016.
Presenter, Reinsurance Association of America, Re Contracts: The Art of Designing Reinsurance Contracts and Programs, “Top Ten Developments in International Contract Issues,” July 2016.
- Presenter, American Conference Institute, “The Reinsurer’s View of Allocation – Allocation Issues and Methodology When Reinsurance is Involved, Including Follow-the-Fortunes/Follow-the-Settlements Trends,” June 2016.
- Moderator, ARIAS·U.S Webinar, “Sureties & Financial Guarantees – An Overview,” April 2016.
- Presenter, AIRROC’s Annual Commutations and Networking Conference, “Construction Defects,” October 2015.
- Presenter, Reinsurance Association of America, Re Claims 2015, “Emerging Issues – Medical Marijuana,” October 2015.
- Moderator, HB Litigation Reinsurance Roundtable, “Current Issues in Insolvency and Liquidation,” September 2015.
- Speaker, AIRROC’s Membership Meeting, “Update on Recent Case Law,” July 2015.
- Presenter, HB Litigation Reinsurance Roundtable, “Payment Protocols,” September 2014.
- Presenter, AIRROC’s Spring Membership Meeting, “The Anatomy of Lead Paint Claims,” March 2014.
New York, 1998
North Carolina, 2006
U.S. Supreme Court
First Circuit Court of Appeals
Second Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S District Court for the District of Connecticut
J.D., Syracuse University College of Law (cum laude), 1997. Editor, Journal of Legislation and Policy.
M.P.A., Public Administration, Syracuse University, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, 1997
B.A., Michigan State University (cum laude), 1992