Gary A. Barrera is a Special Counsel at Mound Cotton. His practice focuses on advising insurers on coverage issues arising under first-party and third-party coverages and defending their coverage positions in all phases of litigation. Mr. Barrera has extensive experience analyzing coverage for a variety of claims, including construction defect, business interruption, commercial and residential property damage, professional liability, and environmental matters. He also represents insurance carriers and third-party administrators in complex insurance coverage litigation, including bad faith, declaratory relief, and equitable contribution actions. With more than 20 years of experience in the insurance industry as both an attorney and a claims professional, he understands his clients’ business concerns as well as the insurance regulatory environment.
Mr. Barrera is also well versed in matters relating to owner-controlled insurance programs (OCIPs), risk management, and contractual indemnity provisions. In addition to his experience in insurance coverage and risk management, Gary has experience in other areas of law as well, including construction, business, landlord-tenant, real estate, product liability, and professional liability.
Mr. Barrera received his J.D. from Rutgers University School of Law and his B.A. in History from the University of San Francisco.
- Alameda County Bar Association
- “Insurance for Construction Startups,” Construction Executive Magazine, October 2019
- “There’s Plenty of Risk In a Startup: Insurance Can Help Limit Liability,” Young Upstarts Magazine, May 2019
- “The Top 10 ‘Other’ Construction and Design Contract Provisions You Need to Know,” California Builder and Engineer Magazine, October 2018
- Presenter, “Construction Insurance: Protecting Your Client & Avoiding Common Traps,” Continuing Education of the Bar Webinar, October 2018
- Presenter, “Top Ten Construction and Design Provisions Every Owner, Tenant, Contractor and Design Professional Should Understand,” CLE, Oakland, CA, April 2018
- Presenter, “Construction Defect Litigation,” Alameda County Bar Association, Oakland, CA, April 2018
- Presenter, “What Every Lawyer Needs to Know About Insurance,” Alameda County Bar Association, Oakland, CA, February 2018
- Presenter, “An Update on Privacy Protection Act, Self-Insured Retentions, and Indemnity Provisions,” West Coast Casualty Construction Defect Seminar, Anaheim, CA, May 2015
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 2004
B.A., University of San Francisco, 1993